- Double-check that your bicycle is in perfect mechanical condition. Double-check the tires and the brakes.
- Make sure that your bicycle is the right size for your morphology
- Biking helmets are strongly recommended.
- Bring a repair kit with you (*)
- Remember that the French Code de la route applies to cyclists in all circumstances
- Use bike paths where there are bike paths
- Respect the others as you would like to be respected yourself.
- Do not cycle more than two abreast, and cycle in single file when traffic conditions require it.
- Select an itinerary which is adapted to your physical capacities
- Inform your friends or family about your itinerary
- Be fully aware of the weather forecast
- Bring a local road map in addition to the cycling guide instructions
- A first aid kit is strongly recommended.
- Know how to call the emergency services: 18 or 112 for cell phones
- Be respectful of the environment. Do not litter.
- If your return trip is in the dark, make sure you can be seen
(*) Repair kit contents:
1 spare inner tube and patches
1 spoke wrench and pair of tire levers
1 back derailleur cable
1 back brake cable
1 chain tool
1 set of open-ended spanners
1 set of hex-head keys